Chin Up, Buttercup
I’ve been having quite a roller coaster month. It sucks. Mainly because it’s supposed to be good because it’s my birthday month. But I’ve been feeling all kinds of sad lately, and it is mostly because I let myself feel sad. I strongly believe that you create your own happiness. You choose how you feel about something. You also choose how a situation affects you. But you get those days where all you want to do is pull the duvet cover over your head and stay right there until things magically start falling into place or work out like you want them to. Unfortunately it doesn’t work like that – there’s things to be done and lives to be lived. I’ve had a few of these days in the last month or two and am only realizing now how much of a complete waste of time it is and has been. I’ve been making my days crap because I let things that are out of my control affect me, the way I feel about life, and my happiness. That’s why I am writing this post. Maybe there’s someone out there who feels the same and who, like me, needs a pick-me-up.
I’ve learnt, through this whole process, that you need to find joy in the small things. If there is none, then make some. It keeps me grounded and makes me realize that the world is bigger than the little problem I am having. It helps me get a better outlook on the situation.
So, here are some of the things I find joy in when I am having a really crap day.
– A lekker cuppa coffee. No need to explain this. Coffee is a regular pick-me-up for me. It’s just, sometimes I rely on it too much and I feel like I have caffeine poisoning.
– Reading my favourite blogs. How can this not be a pick-me-up. There are so many awesome blogs out there. I have made a morning ritual of drinking coffee and scrolling through my favourite blogs. They are inspirational, interesting and funny. Some of my favourites are listed in the right side bar under ‘bloglove’ – go check them out.
– Snuggles with my cats. I’m not a cat person. I’m not a dog person. I’m an animal person. Give me any animal to snuggle and I’m a happy chappie. My cats are my pick-me-ups. They hate it. I love it.
– A warm bubble bath with my favourite book/magazine and some scented candles. Goodness – already looking forward to tonight’s!
– Blogging. Just being creative all-together really is such a pick-me-up. Writing, drawing, illustrating, taking photos.
– The feeling of success after you’ve trained your ass off in the gym. No feeling like it. I feel on top of the world after a lekker training session. Also, seeing results is THE BEST.
– A clean house. Seriously. Looking forward to going home because your house is clean and organized and neat and fresh and nicely decorated.
– Receiving something in the mail. Even when you do expect it – it’s still awesome!
– Taking an awesome photo. Not sure why this is such a pick-me-up for me. I take LOADS of photos. Mostly about cloudporn (check out the cloudporn tab at the top). Receiving great feedback on a cool photo is equally as awesome.
– Looking forward to a birthday. I usually look forward to my birthday. Not this year. Most probably has something to do with the roller coaster ride.
– Fresh out the laundry clothes and towels. Best smell ever!
– a rainy day. I absolutely love the rain. Instant pick-me-up for me!
– A friendly gesture. A hug from a friend. A smile from a stranger. A gap in traffic. All awesome.
– A warm, snuggly jersey in the cold. I am so cold as I type this so I am extremely grateful for my cardigan!
– a good youtube video, like the one currently under my ‘latest’ tab at the top!
– Cute animal gifs. Like this:
– Inspiring quotes, like these:
I hope this post have inspired you in some way. Let me know what your pick-me-ups are!